Friday, July 9, 2010

My Inspirations



There they are. My inspirations. R, K, and C. 


One of my goals as I study photography and grow in my new chosen career is to take beautiful portraits of my own kids. So this was one of my first attempts in April. As I learn more, I will try again and again and hopefully, each one will be better than the last. They are the reason I started this venture to begin with! 


My heart was broken over and over again when I would take them as infants to have their portraits made and the photographer would either limit how many "shots" I could keep or how many poses I could order, and they would not let me keep the rest of the pictures they took of MY KIDS! I could not comprehend why I couldn't just have a CD of all the images. Of course, I knew about copyright and their need to make money, after all, it is business and they need to feed their family. But why couldn't a compromise be made? Something that benefited everyone?


This is what got me started thinking about starting my own portrait business. However, I was going to do it differently. Somehow I would find a way to give parents the CD of their entire shoot, and still be compensated for my time and effort. 


Then I found out that my friend from high school became a photographer. Not only is she a successful wedding and family photographer, but included in her pricing is a CD she gives to her clients of all their images and her photography business is flourishing!!! 

That was the day I started this venture. With her help as well as several other photographers in my area (MariettaKennesaw / Acworth, Georgia) and online, I am on my way to having my own photography business! I have a ways to go, but one day I will take a portrait of my kids that makes their mom cry. That will be the day I know I've made it ;) Oh, I'll never stop learning! But that day will be a special one in this lifelong journey of learning photography.

No comments: